Is blogging dead?

Today, out of nowhere a thought popped into my mind - to go and check if one of our old blogs are still active and up for viewing. I happened across this blog and although I had forgotten about it I remembered it all the moment I started reading. I really loved posting here & although I'm the type of girl who loves a clean slate to start with I find myself nostalgically attached to the past posts here. Silly, I know! 

I suppose blogging has died in the age of Instagram - posting a single image is such an easy way to visually document your life so it's really no surprise that blogging has died down. But it is very sad. When I logged on here I also ventured to the 'blogs you follow' tab and it saddened me to see people who had been such regular posters just fall away. Perhaps one of the reasons I stopped was because of the fear of losing these virtual friends who just decided to stop one day. If I didn't check in here anymore I wouldn't know that our virtual connection was broken. The last post from anyone I follow was in 2017 - how disparaging :( So instead of sitting here and mourning over the fact that no one wants to pour out their lives into blogposts anymore, I am writing one instead.

If I'm honest my true reason for stopping is because I felt that there were people out there in my readership that didn't wish me happiness (there's something about a bitter ex-boyfriend that can put a girl off blogging like nobody's business!) and I didn't want to be so publicly vulnerable. This combined with a growing desire for intense privacy after a very public childhood, teenage years & early adulthood have been the two largest contributing factors as to why I stopped writing here regularly.


I'd like to mention another thought about a blog past - when I was 18 I started a blog called 'simply wends'. I can still recall the pink and green design (what was I thinking???) & how popular it was to post on your blog at the time (2008) and to follow your friends in turn! 11 years on I am very upset that I deleted the whole thing on a whim after a breakup. Can you imagine how comedic it would be to look back on those posts now!? I certainly have done some growing up since then, but the biggest change would be how much I have been able to travel since then and how I have eventually started to find who I really am. But still - I'd love to look back on those photos, memories and thoughts. 

I don't know if anyone will see this (If no one is posting then perhaps no one is reading either?), but if you are reading this, I challenge you to write a blogpost today. Even if it is just a few lines. Perhaps one day you will look back as I do today and feel gratitude that you shared something today.

Wx


This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2019 and is filed under ,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply